IN THIS ARTICLE
Connecting a Facebook App to your Site Profile results in better, more accurate Share Counts for Facebook. Without this, you may find that your Facebook Share Counts are lower than you'd expect.
How To Get An App ID and Secret Key From Facebook
In order to get a Facebook App ID and Secret Key, you’ll need to register a new Facebook App. Don’t worry – it is very easy, free, and your application does not need to do anything. We only need the keys. If you already have an existing Facebook App, you can simply use its App ID and Secret Key. Either way, it's easy to setup.
- To start, navigate your browser to the Facebook Developers page. You'll need to login to your Facebook account.
- Click the "Add a New App" link in the top right "My Apps" menu.
- Once you've clicked on "Add a New App", a modal box will appear asking you to enter a name for your app and your email address. Pick a simple name, like your website's domain or name.
- After you've filled in the details to create a New App ID, you'll be taken to the new App's Dashboard. You'll find the App ID and Secret Key under Settings -> Basic.
Important note: Facebook has certain API rate limits. Using your own Facebook App can lead to reaching these limits if your website sees high traffic. This is highly unlikely but is possible. If you do each your limit, you will get an email from Facebook saying so. You can safely ignore this email. The API limit resets every hour.
Setup Facebook App Details in the WordPress Plugin
- Once you have your Facebook App ID and Secret, head over to the Shareaholic section of your WordPress Admin console (WP Admin -> Shareaholic -> Advanced Settings):
- Enable "Server-Side Share Counts" and enter the Facebook App ID and Secret:
- Save Changes and you're done!
Setup Facebook App Details in your main Shareaholic Site Settings
- Coming soon!