IN THIS ARTICLE
How Shareaholic Bot identifies itself
If your server is blocking requests from Shareaholic (Steve Bot), there are two ways to unblock Steve Bot:
Whitelist user agent string:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Shareaholic/1.0; +http://www.shareaholic.com/steve)
Whitelist IP address:
Steve Bot uses standard 80 HTTP and 443 HTTPS ports to connect.
Whitelisting Bots in your Robots.txt
If you have custom bot rules set in your robots.txt file, make sure to allow Shareaholic by adding the following two lines to your robots.txt file:
User-agent: shareaholic Allow:
Whitelisting Bots in your Application Firewall
- WordFence — The whitelisting options are found in the WordPress backend under
WordFence > All Options > Firewall Options > Advanced Firewall Options.
- iThemes Security — In this application, whitelisted IP addresses are called
authorized hostsand are added in the setup wizard. Once the setup wizard is complete, you can also find enter/modify the IP addresses under
Security > Settings > Configure > Authorized Hosts.
- Defender Security — The whitelisting options are found in the WordPress backend under
Defender > Firewall > IP Banning > Allowlist.
- CleanTalk — Instructions on whitelisting for CleanTalk can be found on the developer's website.
- BBQ Pro — The whitelisting options are found in the WordPress backend under
BBQ Pro > Settings > Whitelist IPs.
- Admin Tools Pro — The Whitelisting options can be found in
Components > Admin Tools > Web Application Firewall > Configure Exceptions from Blockingtab.
- RS Firewall — The Whitelisting options can be found in
Components > RSFirewall > Blacklist/Whitelist.
- OSE Anti-Hacker — The Whitelisting options can be found in
Components > OSE Anti-Hacker > IP Management.
- SecurityCheck — The Whitelisting options can be found in
Components > Security Check > Main menu > Web Firewall Configuration > Lists.
Whitelisting Bots in your DNS firewall
- Cloudflare - whitelisting instructions
- Incapsula - whitelisting instructions (add Shareaholic as a “Good bot”)
- ModSecurity - whitelisting instructions
- Sucuri - whitelisting instructions
Whitelisting Bots with your Hosting Provider
- Siteground - whitelisting instructions
- 1&1 IONOS - whitelisting instructions
- Bluehost* - whitelisting instructions
- Hostgator* - whitelisting instructions
- Hostinger - whitelisting instructions
- GoDaddy - whitelisting instructions
- GreenGeeks - whitelisting instructions
- Big Commerce - Must contact support
- Liquid Web - Must contact support
- iPage - Must contact support
- InMotion - Must contact support
- Glowhost - Must contact support
- A2 Hosting - Must contact support
- DreamHost - Must contact support
* Please note: these instructions work for HostGator and Bluehost if you have a website on VPS or Dedicated Hosting.