IN THIS ARTICLE
You can even choose to geo-target / show the Cookie Consent Banner to everyone or only to visitors located in in the EU (where the law requires that sites ask visitors for consent to use most web cookies).
How to Show the Cookie Consent Banner on Your Website
- Log in to your Shareaholic account
- Select a Site Profile from the My Sites dropdown.
- In the Apps section, toggle the Cookie Consent banner app to on.
- Click the Configure button to access more customization settings.
- In the layout tab, you can specify the location of your Privacy page, change the text that displays, and configure where the banner appears on your page.
- In the Targeting Rules tab, you can choose whether to display this banner to visitors from all countries, or only visitors from EU countries.
Geotarget to only EU/EEA Visitors
When someone visits your site and their GeoIP information indicates that they are located in the European Union (EU), the Cookie Consent App will appear on their screen. We use the MaxMind GeoIP lookup database to determine country.
Shareaholic currently classifies the following countries as part of the EU:
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
We followed the list published here and last updated it on 6 February 2014.
In addition to the above, Shareaholic includes the following countries that are part of the EEA (European Economic Area):
How to verify the banner is loading in the EU/EEA
If you're located in a non-EU/EEA would like to verify the banner is loading in the EU, you can either:
- Ask someone you know in the EU
- Use a VPN
- Use a free screenshot service like https://www.geoscreenshot.com or https://tools.keycdn.com/speed to take a screenshot from a server in the EU.