IN THIS ARTICLE
Depending on your website, you may want to exclude certain pages or sections of your website from being recommended, such as 'thank you', custom 404, and 'contact us' pages. There are several options available to quickly filter content from appearing in the Related Content app.
Excluding pages from the Admin Console
- Login to your Shareaholic account.
- Select your Site Profile from the My Sites dropdown at the top of the page.
- On the 'Apps' page, in the 'Engage' section, click on Settings next to one of the Related Content app locations.
Note: Exclusions will apply to all the Related Content apps on your page, so you only have to enter this information on one app location for it to be applied to all others.
- In the Related Content Settings window, select the Content Pool tab.
- Here you have several options to exclude posts. You can do so by tags, author, content age, and specific URL patterns -
- Click Save Changes when you're done.
Excluding URL patterns
URLs can be matched with wildcards (*'s), too. For example:
If your website runs both with and without SSL, don't worry, our blacklisting engine treats both the http and https protocols as equal. This means that you don't have to enter blacklist lines for both protocols.
For example, entering:
...will blacklist both automatically:
Advanced users can enter your own string of Regular Expressions (or "regex"). This will allow you to use your own exclusion patterns. You will need to begin each Regex line with a ^. For example:
Excluding pages from the WordPress plugin
From individual pages and posts, you can use the plugin option boxes available to you on the New/Edit Post and New/Edit Page screens to easily exclude individual entries from being recommended:
Exclude pages using Shareaholic Meta Tags
If you are a developer, you can also insert a Shareaholic Meta Tag into your webpage's HTML to mark it as "private". This will exclude the page from ever being recommended. Include the following meta tag within the <head> section of the pages you would like to exclude from Related Content:
<meta name='shareaholic:article_visibility' content='private' />